This fleece had a good length of staple of 4 – 5ins and teased into a nice foamy springy fibre ball. I love the luminescence of Portland fleeces and they’ve always been a favourite of mine.
I thought I would be able to get quite a smooth result for this one, but maybe because of it’s foaminess I did end up with quite a bumpy singles. When Navajo plied I tried to blend the bumps in as much as possible, but I didn’t want to spend too much time on any of these stages as the whole idea is to save me time on a project.
The yarn looked like it was going to knit up quite fine, so I used 3.25mm needles to start, but after about row four I changed them to 3.5mm. I actually think that using a larger needle might have helped to give this yarn a slightly smoother look, and I think I could have got away with a 4mm needle. The sample does look quite bumpy and uneven.
You could use this for bags or any project you are going to felt, or if you don’t mind a textured garment. As it didn’t hurt my hands at all, I would consider bypassing the carding stage with this fleece again depending on the project. For this experiment I give it a 7/10