I was surprised at just how soft this fleece was and a beautiful rich dark brown. It teased out well into a nice soft fibre ball of fluff.
I had used a mixture of short and really short fibres coming in at 2 – 3.5ins, which I think is why I ended up with a really lumpy bumpy singles, there was no way this was going to be nice and smooth so I opted for a short forward draw. After Navajo plying the yarn did look a lot better but still rather uneven.
What a lovely surprise when I finished knitting the sample, as it looked great and it didn’t show up any of the bumps really! I think a lot of that is to do with the lovely dark brown colour and probably quite a bit to do with the needle size, as I started on a 3mm, then changed to 3.5mm and settled on 4mm needles. It certainly looks smoother on the larger needle even although it is still a tightly compacted fabric.
I would bypass the carding stage on this again if I were making a garment for everyday use, but not if I were making something special. So for this experiment I give it a 6/10